The medieval period of Indian history is nothing but the period that covers the centuries between the end of the great ancient states and the rise of the huge Mughal Empire. The major empires of this period of Indian history are listed below. Medieval India is the stage of the Indian subcontinent between the ancient period and the modern period. This phase can be related to the time period between the sixth century and the sixteenth century.
Medieval Indian History
Indian Medieval History can also be referred to as the Post-Classical Era which lasted mainly from the 8th century to the 18th century AD. Furthermore, the early medieval period of Indian history can be said to have started from the 8th century and lasted till the 13th century, and likewise, the late medieval period lasted till the 18th century and is known to have started from the 13th century onwards.
History is one of the most important topics in the IAS exam. Indian Civil Services Examination History is a very broad subject covering the following topics:
- Ancient Indian History
- Medieval Indian History
- Modern Indian History
Medieval History of India Notes
|The North Indian Kingdoms – The Rajputs||The Bahmani Kingdom (1347-1 526 A.D.)|
|The Kingdoms of the Deccan||Bhakti Movement (c. 8th to 18th Century)|
|Rashtrakutas (755 – 975 AD)||Mughal Empire – Babur|
|Arab and Turkish Invasions||Humayun (1530-1556)|
|Sultanate of Delhi||Sur Dynasty or Sur Interregnum (1540-1555)|
|Mamluk Dynasty||Akbar (1556-1605)|
|Khilji Dynasty||Akbar Successors|
|Tughluq Dynasty||Sayyid and Lodi Dynasties|
|Administration under the Delhi Sultanate||India under the Mughals|
|The Vijayanagar Empire (1336-1 672 A.D.)||Early Medieval Southern India (Imperial Cholas)|
|Early Medieval Northern India||Provincial Kingdoms of Medieval India (Part 1)|
|Provincial Kingdoms of Medieval India (Part 2)||Mughal Empire [Babur, Humayun] & Sur Dynasty|
|Later Mughals & Decline of the Mughal Empire||List of Officers in Delhi Sultanate|
History of Medieval India
Early Medieval India
- Prithvi Raj Chauhan
- Social and Cultural Development during the Rajput Dynasty
- The Rashtrakutas
- The Palas
- Kannauj after Harsha
- The Senas of Bengal
- The Gahadavals of Kannauj
- Chahamans or Chauhanas of Shakambhari
- The Kalachuri’s of Tripuri
- Chandelles of Bundelkhand
- Karkota Dynasty
- Utpala Dynasty
- Kingdoms of Kashmir after Utpalas
- Ride of Lohara Dynasty
- The Arab conquest of Sindh
- Akbar the Great
- Nasin al Din Muḥammad (Humayun)
- Ibrahim Lodi
- Shahabuddin Muhammad Shah Jahan
- Aurangzeb -Emperor of Mughal India
- Babur (Zahir-ud-din Muhammad)
- Cultural Development during the Mughal Era
- The Sur Empire
- Mughal Administration: Key Features & Structure
- Mughal Empire: Contribution to Arts and Architecture
- List of the Great Mughal Emperors of India
- Economic Policy and Administration under the Khilji Dynasty
- Mahmud Ghaznavi: Why did he attack 17 times on India?
- Delhi Sultanate: Jalal ud din Khilji and Alauddin Khilji (Khilji Dynasty)
- Razia Sultan: The First Women Ruler of India
- Bahlul Lodhi
- Causes of the Downfall of Lodhi Dynasty
- Administration in Delhi Sultanate
- Firoz Shah Tuglaq
- Ghiyasuddin Tughlaq: The First Emperor of Tughlaq Dynasty
- Qutb-ud-Din Mubarak Shah Khilji
- Muhammad Bin Tughlaq: Key Facts and Reforms
- Smaller Kingdoms during the Sultanate Era
- Sayyid Dynasty: List of Rulers
- Ibn Battuta’s Memoir on Tughlaq Dynasty
- Invasion of Timur on India: Causes and Consequences
- Sufi Movement in India: A Detailed Summary
- Sikandar Lodi: Administration and Achievements
- Economic Conditions During Delhi Sultanate
Medieval History Timeline in India
Here is a timeline of the rise and fall of powerful kingdoms in medieval India:
|500: The northwest of the Gupta Empire was conquered by the Huns; The empire was declining|
|730: The Gurjara-Pratihara dynasty conquered most of northern India|
|800: The Rashtrakuta dynasty rose to power in the south, while the Pala Empire became the largest power in the north.|
|1010: The Chola dynasty extended beyond southern India across the sea|
|1050: Lakshmikarna of Tripuri rules most of northern India|
|1206: The Delhi Sultanate begins, occupying most of northern India and eventually parts of the south as well|
|1336: The Vijayanagara Empire rules the south and resists Islamic invasion|
|1526: The Mughal Empire overthrew Delhi and quickly occupied most of India|
GK Questions & Answers for Medieval Indian History Quiz (MCQs)
Medieval Indian History Questions are asked in many competitive exams and are also important for SSC exams and Banking exams. You should practice medieval history GK questions to get better results in SSC and other competitive exams.
Here you can learn general knowledge of medieval Indian history with important GK questions on medieval Indian history. Prepare for competitive exams by practicing medieval Indian history questions and answers.
|Modern Indian History MCQ||Indian Polity & Constitution MCQ|
|Indian Geography MCQ||Environment and Biodiversity MCQ|
|World Geography MCQ||Indian Art & Culture MCQ|
Q1. In which of the following areas did Marco Polo travel in the last decade of the thirteenth century in India?
[B] Madurai Sultanate
Q2. Who was commissioned to build a white marble tomb for Sheikh Salim Chishti?
[D] None of the above
Q3. Who among the following Sikh Gurus laid the foundation of Amritsar?
[A] Guru Ram Das
[B] Guru Arjan Dev
[C] Guru Har Govind
[D] Guru Amar Das
Q4. In what year did the Battle of Rasil take place between the Rashidun Caliphate and the Rai Kingdom in Sindh?
[A] 630 AD
[B] 636 AD
[C] 640 AD
[D] 644 AD
Q5. The Third Battle of Panipat was fought in __.
[D] None of the above
Q6. In which of the following centuries did the Ghurids quickly rise to power?
[A] 12th century
[B] 13th century
[C] 14th century
[D] 15th century
Q7. Referring to the Delhi Sultanate administration, which of the following was the state correspondence department?
Q8. Which of the following was the first ruler of the Khilji dynasty?
[A] Qutbuddin Mubarak Shah
[B] Jalauddin Khalji
[C] Alauddin Khalji
[D] Nasiruddin Khusrau Shah
Q9. Which of the following temples is also known as Pampapati?
[A] Hazara Ramaswamy temple
[B] Vittalaswami temple
[C] Virupaksha temple
[D] None of the above
Q10. Which of the following kings gave Muhammad Adil Shah the title of Shah?
[A] Shah Jahan
Read More –
- Top 50 Indian GK Questions & Answers in English
- 100 General Knowledge Quiz Questions with Answers
- Most Expected General Knowledge Questions and Answers PDF Free | SSC MTS GK GS Special Class
I hope you all like our post, we are glad you read all our posts, medieval indian history if you like our post then share it with our friends, and if you have any problem you can comment to us, thanks.