For added security of your Aadhaar biometric data, UIDAI offers you a ‘Biometric Lock’ service. Watch this tutorial to learn the steps.
Note: With this service, you will not be able to use fingerprint authentication or iris scan for any Aadhaar-related service.
Aadhaar UIDAI – https://www.youtube.com/@AadhaarUIDAI
How to Lock Aadhaar Biometric Data to Stop Aadhaar Fraud, Step-by-Step Guide
Aadhaar Biometric Data: Fraud does not require SMS or OTP authentication, which is most worrying. The Indian market seems to have witnessed an increase in a new type of scam using Aadhaar cards. Fraudsters are exploiting loopholes in the Aadhaar-enabled payment system (AePS) to empty your entire bank account. The scam does not require SMS or OTP authentication, which is most worrying. According to reports, the Indian market seems to have witnessed an increase in a new type of scam using Aadhaar cards.
Benefits of Aadhaar Biometric Lock
The Aadhaar biometric lock is useful in a variety of circumstances, including:
- An Aadhaar holder can use the biometric lock and unlock service to lock and unlock their biometrics momentarily.
- The purpose of this feature is to improve the privacy and confidentiality of biometric data.
- You can lock your biometrics to prevent unauthorized people from using them if you misplace your Aadhaar card or device.
- You can lock your biometrics to protect your identity if you’re worried they might be compromised, for example, if your Aadhaar data is compromised. You can lock your biometrics for increased security if you don’t intend to use Aadhaar authentication for a while.
What is a biometric lock?
Biometric Lock/Unlock is a service that allows an Aadhaar holder to temporarily lock and unlock their biometrics. This facility aims to enhance the privacy and confidentiality of resident biometric data.
What biometric data can be locked?
The fingerprint, iris, and face will be locked as a biometric method and after the biometric lock, the Aadhaar holder will not be able to perform Aadhaar authentication using the above biometric modalities.
What happens when biometrics is locked?
Locked biometrics ensures that the Aadhaar holder will not be able to use biometrics (fingerprint/iris/face) for authentication, it is a security feature to stop any type of biometric authentication. It also ensures that no entity is able by any means to perform biometrics-based Aadhaar authentication of such Aadhaar holder.
How to Lock Data on Your Aadhaar Card
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has clarified that the underlying biometric database is secure and cannot be hacked. However, if you want to take precautions and protect your identity and Aadhaar details, here’s how to do it:
- Visit this official website link – https://resident.uidai.gov.in/.
- Click on the “Lock/Unlock Biometrics” option under the “My Aadhaar” drop-down menu. Enter your Aadhaar number.
- Confirm your identity with the security code or captcha that appears on the screen
- Wait for the One Time Password (OTP) through a text message on your registered mobile number.
- Enter the one-time password (OTP) and security key of your choice.
- You will be directed to a link that gives you the option to enable the biometric lock.
- Click “Enable“. Here, your biometric information is locked.
How to Unlock Biometrics?
When a resident activates the biometric locking mechanism, their biometrics are locked until the Aadhaar holder chooses one of the options listed below:
- Open it (temporarily open) or
- Turn off the locking mechanism
- The biometrics unlock process can be completed using m-Aadhaar, the UIDAI website, or the Aadhar Seva Kendra (ASK) Enrollment Centre.
To benefit from this service, a registered mobile phone number is required. If Aadhar does not have your mobile number on file, go to your nearest enrollment center or endpoint to update your mobile phone.
How can I use the mAadhaar app to lock my Aadhaar biometrics?
To reach large numbers of smartphone users, the new mAadhaar has been released by the Unique Identification Authority of India. The app features a host of Aadhaar services and a dedicated section for Aadhaar holders who can carry their Aadhaar information in the form of an electronic copy, instead of carrying a physical copy all the time.
Follow the steps below to use the mAadhaar app to lock your Aadhaar biometrics.
mAadhaar App Link – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.gov.uidai.mAadhaarPlus&hl=en_IN&gl=US
- Get a registered Adhaar number
- Place in the prosecutor’s office.
- Create a four-digit PIN.
- Select “Biometrics Lock”.
- Enter your four-digit personal identification number (PIN).
You should never give your biometric information or Aadhaar number to anyone unless you are positive they have the right to receive it. Protect and store your Aadhaar card. Keep it away from your person until it is needed.
How can I deactivate my Aadhar biometric card?
To disable the permanent lock system, log in to the UIDAI online portal. Enter your Aadhaar number and security code. Enter the security code and click the “Disable” button. Aadhaar Biometrics data is permanently disabled until it is locked again.
What if someone knows my Aadhaar number?
Only by knowing your Aadhaar number, no one can harm you. It is just like any other identity document like Passport, Voter ID, PAN Card, Ration Card, Driving Licence, etc., which you have been using freely for decades with the service providers.